The Center for Technology and School Change works with school communities and educational organizations to transform the design of school learning environments for the 21st century through research, research-based professional development and the evaluation of technology use in the schools. We are committed to the creation of more equitable, student-centered, authentic learning environments, using technology as a catalyst for transforming pedagogy and deepening content.
The Center for Technology and School Change (CTSC) works with schools and educators to:
- assist teachers in integrating technology successfully into PK-12 schools;
- research student, teacher, and administrative uses of technology in schools to improve learning;
- develop creative classroom applications for technology tools and products; and
- help teachers in urban schools address the unique inner-city challenges of teaching and learning with technology.
To further its work, CTSC often engages in partnerships with other institutions, programs, and projects. Read more about our partnerships here.
How We Work
CTSC develops and implements projects and activities that aim to infuse technology into all aspects of the education process by:
- engaging educators at every stage of their technology proficiency;
- involving schools and districts at every level of technology capability; and
- documenting and assessing the models created by the Center in order to improve and replicate them.
Working with Educators
CTSC facilitators help practitioners develop their technology knowledge base through an ongoing professional development process. CTSC’s professional development for technology integration uses authentic classroom practice to situate the development, use, and exchange of new knowledge. As teachers design a curriculum project, they discover how technology can enhance their own curriculum, their teaching strategies, and classroom activities. CTSC’s work with teachers takes into account the unique characteristics of each district, school and classroom environment.
Working with Districts
CTSC also works with districts and schools to help them reflect on their institutional capacity for infusing technology at all levels of education practice. Using formative and summative approaches, CTSC staff members partner with administrators and teachers to develop a systematic evaluation approach for assessing their capabilities and professional development/resource needs. As technology can be a catalyst for developing new, institution-wide approaches that transform the teaching process, it is crucial to identify what teachers know about technology and to design a targeted process for working effectively with teachers.